Are you looking for an ultra lightweight folding scooter for adults that’s on the market today?
We have done the research and picked the top lightweight mobility scooters for this in-depth review.
Whether you want the world’s lightest mobility scooter or if you simply need one that is light enough to easily transport, our test results will help you make an informed buying decision to get the best product for your needs.
Over the course of a week, we ran tests to analyze and compare their drive range, top speed, comfort, style, ease of transport, airline travel compliance, and more to narrow the field down to a handful of impressive winners.
In this article, we will look at each scooter in detail. We will point out who they are best suited for, what to look out for, and the pros and cons of each model.
This article will no doubt save you both time and money as you decide on the best mobility scooter for you or the loved one that is in your care.
3 wheel vs 4 wheel mobility scooter
Do you know if you are looking for a 3 wheel mobility scooter or a 4 wheel mobility scooter?
Here are some points to consider for each:
3 wheel mobility scooter
- Can be more lightweight
- Usually can make sharper turns
- Best suited for indoor use
- Can be unstable when taking fast sharp turns
- Usually not an outdoor all-terrain choice
4 wheel mobility scooter
- Generally offers more stability
- Usually a better outdoor mobility scooter
- Usually a bit heavier than 3 wheel mobility scooters
- Requires a larger turning radius
Amazon Mobility Scooters
Amazon has become a trusted online source over the years so many times our product referrals direct buyers to that site.
One advantage of shopping on Amazon is to read customer reviews and find the best-selling products in your area of interest.
Best Lightweight Mobility Scooters
Here are our favorite mobility scooters that all weigh 59 pounds or less:
EV Rider Gypsy Ultralight Collapsible
EV Rider Transport
iLIVING i3 Foldable Mobility
Ephesus S5 — New 2022 Model — Electric Mobility Scooter
Transformer Automatic Folding Scooter
G - 3 Wheel Folding Mobility Scooter
Our Lightest Mobility Scooter Reviews
Lightest mobility scooter at just 37 pounds! The EV Rider Gypsy Ultralight earns the award for being the lightest 4-wheel mobility scooter, hitting the scales at a diminutive 37 pounds. By the way, this weight is the total weight with the battery!
Boasting a weight capacity of up to 250 pounds, the EV Rider Gypsy Ultralight has the ability to fold down small enough to be able to fit just about anywhere. The only real problem we found with the EV Rider Gypsy Ultralight is that the seat is not the most comfortable. It’s fine for short distances and for zipping around stadiums or airports, but I wouldn’t recommend sitting on it for hours at a time. The other small complaint some people have is the driving range. A full charge of the battery will give you a driving range of up to 10 miles. That is depending of course on your weight, inclines, and speed. But if lightweight is your primary concern then it’s hard to beat the EV Rider Gypsy Ultralight because it’s a good 7 pounds lighter than the next model in our tests, and an excellent overall performer.Why we love it:
- The lightest mobility scooter at just 37 pounds!
- Weight capacity of up to 250 pounds
- 4 mph top speed which is a brisk walking pace
- Max drive range – up to 10 miles
- Folded Dimensions: 25″ L x 16.5″ W x 11″ H (small enough to fit into any car)
What could be improved:
- Drive range drops off considerably if you weigh over 230 pounds
- Seat is not very comfortable for long trips
- Lightest 4-wheel scooter in the industry: only 37Lbs with battery!
- Collapses and fold like a carry-on-bag
- Patented in the USA
- Weight capacity: 250Lbs
- Driving Range: 10 miles with the Standard 11.6Ah Lithium battery
Budget-Friendly – 49 pounds Weighing in at 49 pounds, the EV Rider Transport is one of the lightest mobility scooter in our review. And while it may weigh 20% more than the TravelScoot, it can generally be found a little cheaper, and it’s a decent overall performer that’s available in four great looking colors. The EV is another three-wheel scooter designed primarily for indoor use. With a tight turning radius of 31 inches and a compact design that folds small enough to fit in the trunk of most cars, it’s perfect to get you places other larger scooters can’t go. With a top speed of 3.8 mph, this scooter is a little faster than the average person walks, so you’ll have no trouble keeping up with the crowd. But you won’t win any races as it’s one of the slower scooters in our review. On the downside, the max drive range of 10 miles can mean you only get a couple of hours use before it needs to be recharged, which can take a couple of hours. But for short trips out and about — or situations where you just need the scooter to get you from A to B — this is not really an issue. Overall the EV Transport is a good budget-friendly lightweight option. And for the style-conscious shopper, you’ll be pleased to know it comes in four different colors — red, blue, silver, copper.Why we like it:
- Weights just 49 pounds with battery
- Available in 4 colors (red, blue, silver, copper)
- Excellent 31-inch turning radius makes it perfect for indoor use
- 3.8 mph top speed
- Folds easily and fits in the trunk of most automobiles
What could be improved:
- Max drive range of 10 miles
- Weight capacity is only 250 pounds
- Only 1.4″ ground clearance
Great traveling companion – 53 pounds The iLIVING i3 Mobility Scooter is a good choice for a travel scooter. First of all it is allowed for air travel. You should not get stranded with this model because it comes with two rechargeable lithium-ion batteries included in the price. Since it is made with aircraft-grade aluminum it is both lightweight and durable. The solid rubber tires will ensure that no flat tires will cramp your style as you are sight-seeing, on a cruise or just picking up some last minute groceries. (This model comes with a basket that hangs by the handle controls and is not pictured.)Why we like it:
- Constructed from durable aircraft-grade aluminum
- Safe air travel
- weighs 53 pounds including the rechargeable lithium-ion batteries.
- Comes with 2 batteries (extra one included)
- 4 wheel design to prevent tipping over and potential injuries
- quick-and-easy three-step fold and unfold system
- Folded dimensions: 30 inches by 20 inches by 18.1 inches
- Heavy-duty, lithium batteries on a single charge can go up to 14 miles
- No Flats! This scooter comes with solid rubber tires
- Equipped with a forward and reverse
- Comfortable seat with backrest
What could be improved:
- Can be a little heavy at 53 pounds for frequent travelers
Remote Control Automatic Folding! – 55 pounds
The only lightweight four-wheel scooter in our lineup, the Transformer Automatic Folding Scooter also features perhaps the coolest feature we’ve ever seen… remote control automatic folding. Like something out of a James Bond film, with a single press of the remote control the scooter transforms from a suitcase-size package to a completely functional scooter in seconds. Press the button again and the process reverses and it’s ready for transport. Very handy for anyone who has difficultly folding and unfolding manual scooters. And a real head turner when out in public! Being a four wheeler, the Transformer by Solax is a little more stable than the other three wheel models here in our review. So it’s more confidence inspiring when taking turns and is much less likely to tip over if you accidentally go too fast. On top of this, the relatively slow 3.75 mph top speed means it’s fairly difficult to put yourself in a dangerous situation. So top marks for safety. The Transformer comes with a lithium-ion battery similar to others in this review which makes it airline friendly. The only thing to keep in mind if you plan on traveling solo with this scooter is the weight. At 55 pounds it’s at the top end of the lightweight category and if you need to lift it in and out of the trunk of your car you might need assistance. All in all, we were really impressed with the Solax Transformer and it’s great to see a four-wheel scooter making our 55 pound weight cutoff. Highly recommended for anyone who is concerned about stability and wants the extra safety of a lightweight four wheeler.Why we love it:
- Weighs just 55-pounds with battery
- Automatic folding via remote control
- Folds to suitcase size
- Airline-friendly battery
- Good 300-pound weight capacity
What could be improved:
- Relatively slow 3.75 mph top speed
- Automatic folding adds to the price
Ultra Lightweight Folding Mobility Scooter Amazon
- Lightweight and Easy Operation: ZiiLIF-R3 weighs only 37.5 lbs without the armrests and battery. Battery and armrests can be easily installed/uninstalled for your travel convenience. Scooter can move forward and backward by operating the right and left throttle control lever respectively. Maximum forward speed is adjustable.
- Foldability and Compact: It is designed for both travel purpose and regular usage. Product can be folded to a luggage size, and fit into car trunk.
- Flight Friendly & Battery: The Lithium ion battery is one of the most powerful qualified batteries which are allowed to board on flight. Each battery weighs about 3.6 lbs. The battery can be easily detached by hand.
- Weight Capacity: The scooter has a maximum weight capacity of 275 lbs (125 kg).
- Warranty and Service: One-year warranty for scooter and battery. Let us know any issue you may have. We provide quick support service to our customers until satisfaction.
- ✔ LONGEST RANGE With 25 Miles range this mobility scooter is one of the longest ranged mobility scooters in the market. The actual range of driving range is affected by vehicle configuration, load capacity, temperature, wind speed, road surface, operation habits, and other factors. The data in this description is a reference only.
- ✔ ADJUSTABLE HANDLEBAR: Perfect most heights, tall or short do not matter anymore, everyone can adjust the handlebar height and angle for their own comfort.
- ✔ ADJUSTABLE SPEED: You can use this model with 3 different speed level. Speed level 1 is 3.75 mph, level 2 is 7.5 mph, and level 3 is 12 mph. The Scooter comes with an adjustable (7”) direction bar.
- ✔ ALL TERRAIN and COMFORTABLE: Rubicon FX01 Mobility Scooter Comes with 10 Inch Big Front Tires and 4 Tire Suspensions for the Smoothest Ride. Never Fail You on Grass, Ramp, Brick, Muddy, Snow, Bumpy Roads.
- ✔ LIGHTWEIGHT: Weighs only 62 lbs without the seat, armrests and battery. Undoubtedly one of the lightest model in it's class.
No products found.
Mobility Scooter – Infographic
Lightweight Mobility Scooter Buying Guide
We’ve invested dozens of hours researching the best lightweight scooters, looking at all the most popular models as well as some of the more obscure makes you might not see talked about often. Testing and comparing different scooters against each other to determine the most important factors you need to consider when buying a new mobility scooter. Based on our research, we found the most important things to look for are:
Three Wheel Vs Four Wheel
Due to the weight reduction you get by removing a wheel, most of the lightweight scooters you’ll find are three wheel models. Not only are they lighter, but three wheelers tend to have tighter turning radius’ which makes them particularly well-suited to indoor use. Of course, having only a single wheel at the front means you lose some stability and therefore three wheel scooters are more prone to tipping over, especially on hills or when turning sharply. Four wheelers on the other hand give you more stability at the cost of a little more weight.
Weight With Battery
In this review we have listed scooter weights including the battery. Some manufacturers will try and get a little cute by focusing your attention on the weight of the scooter without the battery. However batteries are heavy and can add rather significantly to the weight of the unit. So when comparing models always make sure you’re looking at the total weight of the scooter including the battery, seat, and any other accessories you plan on using.
Other than driver weight, battery power is the main factor in the driving range of your scooter. Unfortunately, batteries are heavy. So to make the lightest possible scooter, manufacturers must make a compromise between weight and drive range. You’ll want to carefully think about how you plan on using your scooter and exactly how far it will need to take you before needing to recharge. The recharging process usually takes a couple of hours — most people will simply leave their scooter to charge overnight — so for maximum convenience you’ll want to purchase a scooter with enough battery to get you through your entire day. Some other factors that may or may not be in your control that will determine how much life you get out of a charge include the weight of the driver, whether you are driving mainly on flat or incline terrain, how smooth the road surface is, and your driving style.
The average person walks at a pace of around 3 mph. So if you’re mainly using your scooter indoors or in areas where there are other pedestrians then a top speed of 3-4 mph is more than enough for you to blend into the crowd smoothly. In fact, if your reaction times are not what they used to be then top speeds in excess of this can become dangerous both to the driver and other people on the road. On the other hand, if you’re going to be driving over larger distances or where there aren’t as many other people around then a higher top speed can help you get places faster and might be something you put a larger emphases on.
Comfort can be one of the more difficult factors to measure because it’s often a very individual thing. It can depend on your height, weight, body proportions, and personal preferences. What is comfortable for one person might be downright painful for another, and vice versa. That said, you can generally get a good idea of how a scooter is going to ride based on the overall reviews from other people. Hot tip: Amazon has a great feature on their product pages titled “Have a question?” where you can type in a keyword such as “comfort” and it will spit out all the reviews that mention this word. This can help you see what other people just like you think of the product.
Storage & Accessories
In reducing weight, usually one of the first things to go is the accessories. While other fully-featured scooters often come with multiple baskets, bags, drink holders, and other attachments, their lightweight counterparts are much more streamlined. Have a think about what personal items you’ll need to carry with you and make sure the scooter you buy has somewhere to store them while you’re driving.
A lightweight mobility scooter is a must-have piece of assistive technology for many people. The key is finding a model that’s light enough for easy travel and transport, yet with enough battery power, storage, and functionality to suit your lifestyle and keep up with you throughout your day. No matter what your priorities and situation, we’re sure you’ll find a perfect match with one of the models here in our review.
To email this article, click on the envelope.